Thursday, February 17, 2011

What do you do when it looks like this outside?



Yesterday I had planned a mini-holiday in Vancouver with my best friend, Kathleen. Getting there involves an hour and a half drive to the ferry terminal and then an hour and a half ferry trip from Vancouver Island (where I live) to Vancouver. We woke up to this - and for those of you who live where you have 'real' snow it probably looks pretty benign. However, just getting down the hill I live on to the highway at the bottom is dangerous when we get snow. Those tennis ball sized snow flakes where the biggest I'd ever seen and if it wasn't such a pain in the neck getting around I wouldn't mind because it is so beautiful.

I know that as an 'adult' I'm not supposed to get upset when I don't get what I want - when I want it - but I was really looking forward to both visiting Vancouver and spending time with my BF so switching from 'mini-holiday' mode to work mode just wasn't happening. What to do?  I did the next best thing - something I love to do and don't often take more than the bare minimum of time doing.





I baked bread. Not just one loaf


(this one is potato saffron - and sliced it has a lovely light yellow color)














Not two















But three different kinds.

The lovely dark round one is our all-time favourite - it's the one we have for every day. It's full of seeds (sesame, poppy, sunflower, and pumpkin) and it both toasts and freezes well.

The third one was a first (and might not be repeated), it has wild rice in it and somehow the combination of wheat flour and wild rice just doesn't quite do it for me. Fortunately, my husband loves them all so I don't have to worry about any going to waste.

Today the sun is shining and the snow is melting, but our little window of opportunity for the trip to Vancouver has passed so I'll just have to console myself eating lovely home made bread.

This may have serious consequences when I weigh in on Saturday.

3 comments:

  1. Do you share recipes? The breads look wonderful.Would love the large round,pumpkin bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to try your recipes. All look yummy.
    Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummm they look very appetizing breads and must have left a rich aroma throughout the house, when you were baking them.
    I would like to try a slice of each one, but the round bread and the potato one looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete